Wow… yesterday went as smoothly as a surgery can go. Got to the hospital at 5:30 am, registered and they had my paperwork. Went upstairs checked in… got called into the back. The new Ellis Fischel Cancer wing of the hospital and surgery ward is quite impressive. The had my paperwork on the bed and an order for my platlet infusion. Spoke to all the doctors and nurses that were taking part in this event. They had to rush things a bit to get the platelets in and me in the surgery room at 7am, and they pushed me in at 7:03. I took 3 deep breaths and was out.

Usually Terri is there when I wake up, but for some reason they wouldn’t let her, or something like that (the only snafu of the day). But the ENT doc filled her in about what happened and how it all went. A day later my throat still hurt like hell, but I guess it always did in the past. I really don’t remember. Anyway, they kept me in an “Observation” room overnight and Terri picked me up in the morning. More or less went home and slept for most of the day. Looking forward to talking again and should be up to full volume in a week or two. πŸ™‚

– Mark

4:30 in the frackin’ a.m. we had to get up – Be at the hospital at 5:30 for surgery to start at 7am. I would love to know why they think that is a good idea. I think 10 a.m. surgery sounds just dandy! Anyway, we (unfortunately) have to repeat this surgery every 2 years-ish. But his ENT guy is great and it went really well. He came and talked to me and described exactly what he found down in Mark’s throat and what he did. (He found bumps [soo not the technical term], he removed said bumps.) Said everything went super-duper. Then I wait for someone to call me back to recovery. I asked and was told, “Oh, someone will come and get you.” Which never happened. That is my only grrrr about this. An hour and a half after I talked to doctor, I went and asked again, I get told, “Oh, he is getting moved to a room. You can meet him up there.” Okay, fine. Which I did. Got there and M is sitting up in bed wondering where the hell I was. First 6 hours, there was LOTS of pain (of course), but they have great pain killers which also took care of the pain in his back as well. So, score! He spent the night in the hospital (usually and outpatient surgery) just in case. Low platelets plus surgery makes for a cautious situation. But no issues other not being able to sleep well. (Does anyone sleep through the night in a hospital?)Β And was actually able to eat dinner (eggs, rice, jello). He tried out talking and there was a voice there. It was raspy, but it had some volume. Yay! So here’s to hoping the voice returns to normal (whatever that is these days) and we don’t have to do this again for 2 years, or maybe not at all.



  1. So glad to hear it went well! And I look forward to hearing your voice again ; )

  2. Great News! Glad it was a success!

  3. So glad it is over and went smoothly! Rest up and email when you can πŸ™‚

  4. Yea, things can still go as planned. Looking forward to talking to you and YOU talking to me! πŸ™‚

  5. To all of you… thank you and me too! πŸ™‚